Search team covenant checklist
A covenant is a list of norms created and agreed upon by everyone on the team. It acts as a touchstone when distractions threaten to derail the search process. Here are some discussion questions that can help your search team create its covenant.
- What are our shared values?
- What are our responsibilities to our congregation, judicatory, and denomination through this search process?
- How will we encourage openness and full participation in each other?
- What types of behaviors do we want to utilize? What types of behaviors do we want to avoid?
- About what do we need to hold one another accountable, and how will we do that?
- How will we come to agreement about actions? What will we do if we cannot agree?
- What does confidentiality look like for us? What kinds of information fall under this agreement? If a team member breaks trust, how will we handle this breach as a team?
- How will we encourage openness and full engagement in our candidates?
A best practice is to keep the finalized covenant visible and to refer back to it as needed.