Possible ponds for finding candidates
When deciding where to advertise your open ministry position, consider the following.
- What outlets share our congregation’s lived values?
- What do the kind of candidates we’re looking for read and/or listen to?
- How do we encourage applications from candidates who would stretch our assumptions and imaginations?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, ask a judicatory or denominational leader or consult a minister who is very familiar with your church.
Once you’re able to answer the above questions, start by advertising through denominational databases and referral systems. From there, move outward to other notification channels.
- Formal networks within the denomination
- Judicatory and denominational publications
- Judicatory and denominational leaders
- Ministry and theology magazines and newspapers
- Websites and blogs
- Social media
- Seminary, theological school, and divinity school faculty and staff
- Well-networked clergy and lay leaders
- Parachurch and/or ecumenical organizations
- Word of mouth